Friday, November 03, 2006

Thoughts

Galatians 6:9-10 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. (English Standard Version)

Have you ever planted anything? I have. I know it takes God to make it grow; without a single doubt this is true. Still, if we're to believe the Bible, and I do, then we clearly see it takes work. The Bible tells us to "not grow weary". That indicates to me that there is an expectation of hard work. Any time someone warns against growing weary there in an underwritten expectation that there will be hard work. BUT, if one works hard they "will reap".

I guess that's where I am today. I am in the working hard stage.

I've noticed, in the many things I have planted over time, that you can work hard and the thing still dies. I have also noticed that there are RARE occasions where one doesn't work hard and a thing still lives. I was recently talking to a man about a particular field of tobacco that the farmer did little to tend and it was a great looking crop. Those happenings are indeed few and far between.

What I have noticed, especially in spiritual planting, is that when we do work that God does bless. Sure, He can certainly do whatever He wants; He doesn't need us. The privilege is that He allows us to be used. Still, we need to work hard and not grow tired of doing good.

Who am I even writing this to? I think it's a pep speech to myself. If you happen to be a servant of God, don't grow weary in doing good...YOU WILL REAP!!!!

No comments: