Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Corner to Corner from Dan Wolgemuth

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” ~ John 14:6

This is serious business. The lines have been drawn… Jesus made sure of that.

In his book, “Letter to a Christian Nation,” Sam Harris, a self-proclaimed atheist, confronts the American Christian population with the profound realities of our claim. He starts his letter this way:

“You believe that the Bible is the word of God, and that Jesus is the son of God, and that only those who place their faith in Jesus will find salvation after death. As a Christian, you believe these propositions, not because they make you feel good, but because you think they are true. Before I point out some of the problems of this belief, I would like to acknowledge that there are many points on which you and I agree. We agree, for instance, that if one of us is right, then the other must be wrong. The Bible is either God’s Word or isn’t. Either Jesus offers humanity the one true path to salvation, or it does not. We agree that to be a true Christian is to believe that all other faiths are mistaken, and profoundly so. If Christianity is correct, and I persist in my unbelief, I should expect to suffer the torments of hell. Worse still, I have persuaded others, and many close to me, to reject the very idea of God…. If the basic doctrine of Christianity is correct, I have misused my life in the worst conceivable way.”

When you offer the healing and hope of Jesus, you draw a line — one that Sam Harris understands. I pray for courage, wisdom and love as you march boldly into a place that the evil one despises. You inspire me.


No comments: