Friday, August 10, 2007

Back from F-L-A; News from the Southern Area Conference


Photos of Sand Key Park (beach) near our hotel taken from internet. Care and the girls went to the beach for about 30 minutes one day. It was nearby, but Katie and Rachel (especially Rachel) abhor the beach. They, and in a larger context, we, had more time to go, but with the girls hating the beach so much, we didn't go back.





I am super glad I went and super glad I'm back!

As you can tell from the photo (right), the accommodations were spare. I don't know how we made it!

Nights in the pool, in particular, were rough (especially watching movies on the big screen while swimming).

Seriously, it was a good conference. We concentrated on abiding in Christ and being pruned during our study times.

Perhaps one of the best times was the time I spent with other Executive Directors from around the South. I already knew a few of them, but was SUPER glad to meet others. North Carolina was well-represented with myself, Wayne George of Greensboro, Hugh Constance of Haywood County and Diana Johnson of Fayetteville. (We missed good ol' Scott Shives of Western North Carolina AND the new fellow from Triangle -- sorry to say I haven't met him and don't know his name.)

I will amend this post with the other EDs names from across the South that I know -- call the red a reminder.

Interim Field Director, Larry Lance, and YFC-USA President, Dan Wolgemuth had a breakfast just for the EDs. One of the best things I have ever heard in my life was, after asking EDs to share their prayer concerns, Mr. Wolgemuth saying that he gladly scrapped his agenda so that he could hear from the EDs hearts. I think he planned on giving us a "state of the union" type address, but chose to hear from us instead of talking to us. That was good leadership.

The best part of the whole adventure was that I was able to take my family. Not only that, but the SAC leadership teams seemed to have the foresight to make it family friendly with times built in for family AND for YFC Family.

At any rate, I'm glad I'm home.

No comments: