Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Curious

Sometimes I find things that shouldn't be all that interesting interesting. I'm always wondering where something fits in -- context -- and what else it's related to -- connection -- and how true to what it's supposed to represent it's actually being represented -- honesty. Here's a classic example of my insanity with context, connection and honesty.

So, here I am, not really able to sleep, thinking too much about all I want to see happen in my family and the ministries I serve and the community I live in -- my brain spinning like mad. I turned off my bluegrass and turned on the TV. I flipped around and found Beverly Hills Cop, starring Eddie Murphy. I started watching and pretty soon a scene was on that found Mr. Murphy's character, Axel Foley, wearing the outfit you see here (r).

I noticed the shirt (I bet I noticed it when I first saw it -- sometime around 1984 -- when it came out, but didn't have the internet or Google). I thought, "I wonder if that's a real school in Detroit...?"

Sure enough, a quick Google search proved my suspicion. Mumford High School, built in 1949, is located in Detroit's northwest side.

I wondered if I could find a picture of the school (I'm always looking for proof, LOL!). The internet is a trip. I wasn't only able to find a picture; I found several.

It's a delightful old structure, as you see here (below right). I thought, "Wow! Powder blue! All my fellow North Carolinians who love the Tarheels would love that building's color!"

A side note, rabbit run by my mind and I wondered where someone could find powder blue limestone. I discovered "Because of impurities, such as clay, sand, organic remains, iron oxide and other materials, many limestones exhibit different colors, especially on weathered surfaces." I had to pause and worship at God's amazing hand of creation.

Well, I didn't find the answer to where that particular blue limestone came from, but I found it's pretty common in several places, like China or France.

Rabbit duly chased...

Next I wondered, "Okay, Mumford is a real school in Detroit, but there are bound to be hundreds of schools in Detroit; why this one?"

I did think it was cool the filmmakers made sure to have a character that was supposed to be from Detroit repping a real school in Detroit. That being said, I knew someone involved in the movie had something to do with that school...an alumni, I supposed. Maybe it was the costume person or a key grip or maybe even a bit player. As it turns out, one of the producers of the movie went to Mumford. That producer, a one Mr. Jerry Bruckheimer (r).

You might not know Bruckheimer by face or name, but I bet you know something he's had his hands in. Some of his many movies are Flashdance, Top Gun, Pirates of the Caribbean, Remember the Titans, Black Hawk Down, Bad Boys and National Treasure. Needless to say, Mr. Bruckheimer has quite a resume.

There are more connections in life than we often care to notice or investigate. I suppose I'm no better off for having performed this little research. Fact is, I am pretty sure it was a waste of time. However, I am sleepy now, so maybe it was to shut down my never-want-to-shut-down mind.

At the end of the day, though, I'm always learning. I think God is always teaching me something; He is always growing me. Details, connections, context, honesty...

God does nothing that doesn't matter. He made all of creation, and He upholds all creation by the word of His power. He is omniscient, so He knows how EVERYTHING is connected. I think His work in me  always is primarily giving me His nature, so I get an easy, fun lesson on God's good person. Finally, the shirt is true to what it was trying to represent, which was showing off a guy from Detroit. God is always true! So, here again, God is teaching me, EVEN IN SMALL THINGS, to be honest to what (or Whom) I am represent.

Or, maybe I did just need to wear my brain out...LOL!

No comments: