Thursday, May 16, 2013

God teaching us to listen again...


Have you ever heard of "TED talks"? I've listened to probably 50-75 of them on the internet, and about a dozen on the radio. Most of them are interesting; many are worthless; some are helpful. Most of them revolve around a "you can do it" kind of realization. You know, "If we just know this, we can do that." 

I listened to a TED talk this morning that was sent to me by some spiritual friends. When I say "spiritual," I mean Christian. Well, to be honest, it was not a good one. I wondered, "Why did these 'spiritual' people send me this humanistic junk?" (I am still wondering...) 

But, then, God showed me something. This TED talk was a few months old and has had tens of thousands of views. I thought of Acts 17...

"Now all the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there would spend their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new." (vs. 21) 

See that? All they do is spend their time telling about "what's new" and listening to others talk about "what's new." Sounds like TED talks to me!

Paul, commissioned and empowered by God, gave one of the wisest discourses in all of Scripture: "For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you." (vs. 23) 


All this talk, it's something alright, but it's not much... yet. God is teaching thinkers to talk and talkers to listen. Me? I'm praying God put believers on hills with scholars.


And, classrooms with students.

And, corners with the drunks. 


And, websites with the searching. 


And, on and on and on!

We're learning how to listen again, and I'm praying our hearts are being prepared to hear...




No comments: