Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Busyness Can Be Like Quicksand

Busyness Can Be Like Quicksand

That day was the Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near -- Luke 23:54; New King James Version


Do not mistake activity for achievement. I was digging a ditch to install a drain pipe. The area in which I worked was on the Albemarle Sound; one needed only dig a couple of feet before hitting ground water. I was digging like a weighted man in quicksand! I looked like a hyper gopher! The problem was that I wasn’t getting anywhere. The boss came around, saw that I was sweating hard, but little seemed to have been done. He said, “Why don’t you pump the water off as you dig? It’ll stop caving in that way.” DUH! Why didn’t I know that? Busyness was not the answer. Doing things the right way was the answer.

Today’s Scripture is one that is a hidden treasure. Jesus had just died on the cross (23:46). Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus (23:52). Pilate consented, Jesus’ body was wrapped in linen, and placed it in the tomb (23:53). Those precious women who had followed Jesus went home to prepare the usual things for Jewish burial (23:55). They couldn’t come back and properly honor Jesus’ body and prepare it for proper burial because time ran out. You see, it was the time of the day to prepare for Sabbath. By Jewish law, they were no longer able to do anything.

For some reason, I think this is strange. Their Master had just died! I mean, really! Jesus’ followers were so bound up by rules that they missed the point of them; they are to draw us closer to God, not make us so busy that we can’t see Him.

It’s easy to get overly busy, especially for church folks. The sold out, “want-to-serve-the-Lord-with-all-I-got” Christian usually has a hard time saying no when asked to do something. There is nothing wrong with that, however we need constant refreshing. For those in small congregations, often there is the need to wear many hats and do many ministries, so this danger is much greater.

Martha could well understand what I am talking about. Read these Scripture from Luke 10; “As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a village where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, ‘Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.’ But the Lord said to her, ‘My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details! There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it – and I won't take it away from her.’” (verses 38-42 – NLT).

Let’s not get too busy to sit at Jesus’ feet. Be careful, it’ll happen before one realizes it. Don’t get caught up in rushing around (especially on Sabbath day), and miss out on an encounter with God. Make sure that the main thing stays the main thing!

No comments: