Sunday, December 06, 2009

Luke #68 – Under New Management

Luke #68 – Under New Management
“Now when He had left speaking, He said unto Simon, ‘Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.’ And Simon answering said unto Him, ‘Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at Thy word I will let down the net.’ And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake” (Luke 5:4-6 – King James Version).

I had just left class in Wake Forest when my cell phone rang. It was Care and I could tell she was very upset. “What’s wrong?” is all I said. “It’s Katie,” Care replied, “Her arm is hurting and she has been crying for over an hour. I can’t tell what’s wrong with it!” I said, “I am coming!” When I got home (about an hour later) Katie was still crying. Now, Katie is a daddy’s girl, so when she saw me she began to cry all the more. I sat down and pulled Katie into my lap. I began to inspect her arm and she commenced to wailing all the harder. I thought her arm might be dislocated. She had fallen while walking; as she was holding Care’s hand, Care tried to catch her. That sounded like something that might cause her arm to pop out of place. I have been involved in all sorts of injuries and thought I could pop it into place…wrong move! I thought Katie was going to fall apart she was screaming so loud. Flustered, at wits end, and tired of my little girl being in pain I concluded that a trip to the emergency room was in order. Then it occurred to me that we had not prayed; asking God to intervene. As per James 5:15-16, I prayed, believing God to move. Katie let me lay hands on her and I petitioned God with confidence. After the “Amen”, Katie wouldn’t let me touch the arm anymore. We got in the van and headed for the hospital. I wondered What did I do wrong? Before we were half way to town, she lifted the arm above her head and declared, “My arm is all better!” Praise God!

As Simon Peter had been fishing all night and I imagine he was pretty tired, yet at the word of Jesus, Peter pressed on. Under new management the fishing crew hauled in a catch that was too great for their equipment! After an experience like that I would imagine that Peter would want Jesus as a fishing partner anytime!

MANY lessons can be found here in this simple piece of Scripture. We can learn to press on, even when tired. We can learn a lesson in obedience; even when the situation seems bleak, just obey the Master. We can learn a lesson in trust; let God have His way and trust the results to Him. We can learn a lesson about usefulness; it’s not that we need grand equipment or strategies, but that we need to allow everything for the Lord’s usage. We can learn a lesson in preparedness; be ready to be used or to have your possessions used (remember…when this passage began, those fellows were cleaning the nets – verse 2).

There is a lesson that just jumps out at me for today. It is a lesson about management. I cannot stand those signs that are often seen on car plates or bumper stickers that say “God is my Co-pilot.” Phoooey! He ought to be the pilot! Personally, I don’t want to drive! I did that for a while and wrecked my life! The Bible says that there is a way that SEEMS right to a person, but that way leads to death (Proverbs 16:25). Mankind doesn’t need someone riding shotgun, watching them wreck the ride. We need someone to grab the wheel and not fight the direction He wants to drive in.

Peter’s fishing enterprise came under new management and the results were vastly different. That’s what I want! Take over my life Lord! I am tired and weary, but at Thy bidding, I will give this enterprise to You! I want to turn every part over to this God that does so much with so little; my mind, my time, my hands and feet, my mouth, and yes, even my money. Even when it comes to giving tithes and offerings the Lord God will bless until the equipment bursts (Malachi 3:10). The Lord God Almighty wants to take over our lives and produce a better and different product than what we were doing. How about it, my friend? Are you under new management?

When I finally wised up and let the Lord take over Katie’s injury, His results far outweighed what my efforts produced. It might have seemed like a small thing, but it taught me a great lesson in having the proper management in charge. The Lord God, in Christ Jesus, has healed my dislocated soul, repaired my broken heart, and mended my distorted mind. I sure am glad I gave this messed up project to Him! It was not easy…I had so much work in it that it was hard to turn it over. I wasn’t sure He could or would fix it at first, but now I am running over with HIM! I glad He fired that old man and Jesus took over management of my life!

No comments: