Thursday, May 31, 2012

Walking in the way...

I love being intentional. Now, I don't want to give the impression that I've perfected it. I haven't. I am growing. The following passage was given to the people of Israel, and it's absolutely full of exhortations to intentionality. (Yes, I know, "intentionality" is not a real word. It is now.)


“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." (Deuteronomy 6:4-9 ESV)

Do you see this girl? ---------------------------->

That's my daughter. She's awesome. She'll be 9 in November, but I'm in the midst of enjoying 8, so 9 can take it's time.

Tonight, we went to Wal Mart. I do my dead-level best to not shop anywhere, save my trusty Food Lion. It wasn't planned. I was locked out of the house, and my office, and Care was over an hour away. Well, I should say, it wasn't planned by me. See, I'm learning intentionality from God. He's the Master, and the master of it.

We talked about stewardship (which is always a great shopping subject) dieting, movies -- the Avengers in particular, and The Hulk -- school coming to an end, a classmate's burden that she's concerned about, thunderstorms and several other items. In each case, I brought biblical principles and precepts to bear upon the subject. Despite her young age, Rachel is thoughtful and engaging, and quite impressive, at times, in her understanding. We were "walking in the way..." and were enjoying it.

We made a plan to do some nothing on Saturday. Thirty minutes later, post much exciting discussion, and long after our 30 second talk about plans to do nothing, Rachel wanted to know if her mom and sister didn't want to do nothing would she and I do nothing -- and here's the kicker -- "like we've been doing."

It hit me. God intentionally allowed me to be locked out of my house. God intentionally allowed me to be locked out of my office. God intentionally gave me conversations with one my Beautifuls. God intentionally gave me recall of Scripture and relevant application. God intentionally birthed Rachel into our family. God intentionally created her to know Him, and He intentionally equips and opportunes me to serve as His undershepherd for my daughter. Wow...

My daughter wanted surety that she and I would repeat our fellowship soon. That's intentionality.

We have walked in the way this week. Guess what...we'll sit in the house, too. Intentionally.

I will be diligent.

No comments: