Monday, April 15, 2013

Dressed to Impress


I wear name brand clothes. I have put on Christ!

"But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." (Romans 13:14 ESV)
"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." (Galatians 3:27 ESV)

And I accessorize like a boss!

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." (Colossians 3:12-14 ESV)

To get this fly finery, I had to realize I was clothed improperly...

"We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment." (Isaiah 64:6a ESV)
"Now Joshua was standing before the angel, clothed with filthy garments. And the angel said to those who were standing before him, 'Remove the filthy garments from him.' And to him he said, 'Behold, I have taken your iniquity away from you, and I will clothe you with pure vestments.' And I said, 'Let them put a clean turban on his head.' So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD was standing by." (Zechariah 3:3-5 ESV)
"But that is not the way you learned Christ!—assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." (Ephesians 4:20-24 ESV)

I have learned that it would NOT be wise to show up with the wrong clothes!

"But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ For many are called, but few are chosen." (Matthew 22:11-14 ESV)

I am going to hang on to this mighty fine wardrobe until The Designer clothes me in something else...

"The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels." (Revelation 3:5 ESV)

No comments: