Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Great Adventure

The Great Adventure

“…for you have not passed this way before" (Joshua 3:4c – New King James Version).

Have you ever played laser tag? The first time I played was the best. Not because I got to shoot people with an electronic gun, rather the maze we played in was fun to search through. It was generally dark, but lights were flashing. There were strobe lights, and some places on the walls were painted with fluorescent paint. It was exciting to run around looking for different passages. Every time I thought I’d seen the entire maze, I’d find a new hallway or hiding place. I stopped shooting, because I was having great fun “discovering” new places. It wasn’t a new maze, but it was new to me.

That’s Christian life for me. I am generally in a dark place (the world), and there are bells and whistles (flashing lights and fluorescent paint) every where I turn. The exciting part is that every time I think I have things figured out, God shows me something new. God is not a new God, but He is new to me. I like that. I want to thirst for Him as the Psalmist does in Psalm 42:1.

In Joshua 3, the people entered a new phase in their relationship with God. They went into the land God had promised them. He sent out the Ark of the Covenant before them as a guide for them. Every step they took was a new place that they had not passed through before. How exciting!

Sure, I’ve been through this world before, but now I’m going through it with God. I have new vision. I am seeing things as He leads me, not as I lead myself. This is great! Joshua told the people, "Sanctify yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you" (Joshua 3:5b). I want that to be my prayer every night…”Lord, set me apart, help me to see the great adventure that you have for me tomorrow!”

Paul said, “To live is Christ…” (Philippians 1:21). He understood that great adventure. As he lived on this earth, Paul was discovering the world moment by moment in Christ’s eyes, getting to know Him more all the time.

I know there will be dead ends in a maze, and I know that there will be trouble. Still, I am excited to go through one. In the same way, I know I will experience difficulties in life, but I am excited to go through it with God. I want to pass through a way that I have never been before. I want to experience Him moment by moment as I go through this world. I WANT THIS GREAT ADVENTURE!

Every step with Christ is one that I never made before. The explorer in me can’t wait to see what wonders He will do next in my life. Are you enjoying YOUR great adventure?

No comments: