Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Anticipation!

Anticipation!

“Listen to my voice in the morning, LORD. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly” (Psalm 5:3 – New Living Translation).

Do you remember that sensation of waiting to go somewhere that you really wanted to go when you were a kid? The first time that I can remember going to the county fair we were not going to leave until the afternoon. I almost went crazy! I think that is when I learned to tell time. I awakened early that morning, got dressed, ate breakfast, and was ready to roll before the sun came up. My dad came into the kitchen and looked at me quizzically. He had that, “What’re you doing boy?” look all over his face. I anticipated something big for that day. I was ready to roll hours before it was time. I bet I worried my mom and dad to shreds that day. I remember, distinctly, my mom saying, “Don’t worry honey, we’ll get there.” She was, after all, my always dependable mom, so I was reassured.

Have you ever anticipated something from God? Have you asked things of God and had to wait? It can be tough.

In today’s Scripture, we find David laying his requests before God and waiting “expectantly”. Psalm 5 addresses the evil that surrounds David and his expectation that God will do something about it. David knows his God is good, and knows God’s judgment is righteous. David is sure that God will do something. He, as verse 12 says, is positive that God will “bless the godly…surrounding them with Your shield of love” (NLT). David is confident that God will deal with those who are causing him trouble.

Isn’t confidence a wonderful blessing? Confidence is what I had in my mom, so when she assured me that we were going to make it to the fair; I knew it was a done deal. David had that kind of confidence in God. It carried him far. David awoke in the morning, shared his concerns with the Father and was sure God would act.

There is something more here, however. Look, again, at Psalm 5. Verses 7 and 8 teach us a valuable lesson. Those verses say; “Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house; with deepest awe I will worship at your Temple. Lead me in the right path, O LORD, or my enemies will conquer me. Tell me clearly what to do, and show me which way to turn” (NLT). David lifted his requests to God, sure, but then he worshipped God. Knowing God’s holy character, knowing God is proactive, David recognized a need to offer reverence to the Almighty. He didn’t wait to see God do something before he offered praise and worship to Him. David was confident in God, awed by God, and worshipped God for that, not only when he got his way. 

Furthermore, David asked God to lead him in the way he should go. He knew God would do something, and more than that, knew God would USE HIM to do it. With that in mind, David sought God’s will for His life FOR THAT DAY. Knowing God was going to act; David wanted to join the Father in what He would do and knew he could not face whatever was coming without God’s leading.

Friend, have confidence that God will act for the righteous. Have confidence that God knows how tough anticipation can be. Be sure that He knows your every anxiety. Don’t wait for God to do something to worship Him. He deserves worship simply because He is God. Anticipate His action in and around your life, and ask Him what He’d have YOU do to be a part of it. 

Anticipate that God will do what is right, but know He’ll do it in His perfect timing. Anticipate fellowship with Him while you wait to see what He will do in your life. Anticipate, but do it in worship and confidence, not anxiety and worry.

No comments: