Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Great Provider

The Great Provider

“Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you. And the people shall go out and gather a certain quota…’” (Exodus 16:4a – New King James Version).

There are certain things that I never questioned or thought about as a child. I took it for granted that every time I was hungry, there would be something to eat. I took it for granted that when my shoes became worn, I’d have another pair. Needless to say, I was blessed. The funny thing is rarely did I realize my blessings; rather I always wanted something. One can never take time back, but I sure wish I could. I would go back and be thankful more. I may not have had all I wanted, but I sure had all I needed.

In the Scripture above, God promised to feed His people. The Hebrew people had been freed from the oppressive hand of the Pharaoh. They were out in the wilderness, hungry. What’s God’s answer to their plea? “Sure, no problem, I’ll drop in fresh cuisine every day.” Not only does God drop in fresh food daily, but it was good! It tasted like honey (vs 31). Isn’t God great?

How about the fishes and bread? In John 6, Jesus feeds thousands of people with just a few fish and a bit of bread! In Matthew 6, Jesus tells us not to worry about what we eat or what we wear, because God will provide if we just focus on Him. In 2 Kings 3, Israel is at war with Moab; they have no water, so God provides water. Abraham saw God’s character of provision and called Him, Yahweh Yir’eh, which means “The LORD Will Provide” (Genesis 22:14). The list could go on and on. The point is this; God is the great provider. Whether it means stretching what we have as He did with the bread and fish, or not worrying when we don’t have something, or whether God does the miraculous to give us what we need, nothing is outside of His sovereign hand.

Regardless of our circumstance, God will provide. Notice something else, God never provides in partial measure. In each case, God gave enough and at times He provided in ABUNDANCE.

This is something I often take for granted, much like how my parents provided for me. The fact is, however, God is more than good to me. I need to learn to recognize that. I need to praise Him for that. I need to be honest and thank Him often for His grace towards me.

Let us carefully examine all that Yahweh Yir’eh has provided, and reverence Him accordingly. If you are in need right now, be comforted, God will provide. If what you have seems inadequate, lay it in His perfect care and He will stretch it and provide. After all, He IS the Great Provider.

No comments: