Sunday, July 15, 2007

Luke #12 – A Singing Faith

Luke #12 – A Singing Faith

And Mary said, ‘My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For He hath regarded the low estate of His handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For He that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is His name. And His mercy is on them that fear Him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with his arm; He hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich He hath sent empty away. He hath holpen His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy; as He spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.’ And Mary abode with her about three months, and returned to her own house” (Luke 1:46-56 – King James Version).

“There is a Fountain” that I was dipped into that sealed God’s “Amazing Grace” towards me. “Just as I Am,” I came to God and cried “Come, O Holy Spirit, Come” for I know that our “Eternal Father, Strong to Save” would save me if I called “That Name”. I felt worthless, but I knew that “His Eye is on the Sparrow” and “God is so Good!” “I’m so Glad that Jesus Lifted Me” that “I’m Gonna Live so God Can Use Me!” “Oh, I Know the Lord’s Laid Hands on Me” and everyday "My Life Flows On (How Can I Keep From Singing?). OH LORD, You are “Holy, Holy, Holy” and I am amazed that “Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne” to save a wretch like me. “Since Jesus Came Into My Heart” I sing a “Song of Hope.” No matter how much life’s gets “Over My Head”, with Christ I will truly sing “It Is Well With My Soul.”

We have a singing faith and I would confidently say that there is a hymn, contemporary, or praise song out there somewhere that expresses every sort of Christian response a person could have toward God. Sometimes I am sad and I HAVE to sing “It is Well With My Soul” to remind me that God is good in the midst of my troubles. Sometimes I am happy and I HAVE to sing “God of Wonders” to express how awesome God is. I could go on and on; I am thankful that we have a singing faith.

The song that God provoked in Mary is often called the Magnificant. In it there are several things God spoke to me about.

#1 – Mary said that her soul magnified God. That’s a big statement. It DOES NOT mean that Mary made God greater than He is…no one can do that…for He cannot be made greater than He is. It means that she was giving God glory; not just with her lips (as in lip service), but with her heart and soul, her body and being. I had to ask myself “Is God this real in my life?” I ask you, dear friend, does the indwelling presence of God in you “magnify” His name? Is He so real IN us that we are giving Him glory with our lives?

#2 – Mary recognized her need for the savior and “rejoiced” in God’s deliverance. Too many times these days Christians seem to feel as if Christ is some burden to their lives and interests. Do we rejoice that our “low estate” has been regarded by God and that He desires to lift us from the mundane and give us a future heritage that others will call “blessed”?

#3 – Mary thought that the “things” God did to her were “great”. Surely she understood that the world around her would count her pregnant, yet virginal, state as strange (at best!). Obviously whatever God DID to Mary was better than what others THOUGHT of her. She was not ashamed, rather was happy that this “holy” God touched her life. Does the song we live and sing say that we believe that?

#4 – Mary recognized that her proper “fear” of the Lord was not unnoticed by God. This is a statement that shows that Mary understood God was RELATIONAL with her. He was not distant and inattentive; cold and uncaring. God hears and answers those that truly fear Him. He is involved; He is proactive to the point that He “shewed” His arm through one who feared Him. He lifts up those of “low degree.” He “fills” the hungry! That was Mary! That is ME! That is YOU! I find so much comfort and joy in that. Are you HUNGRY for God today?

#5 – Mary recognized that God helps those who accept His promises. He’d made promises to Israel; He did not forget them. Whatever promises God has made God keeps! That makes me want to sing of His blessed assurance! JESUS IS MINE…NOW AND LATER…OH WHAT A FORETASTE OF GLORY DEVINE!

Mary’s mouth sang a beautiful song to the Lord, but the record of His love played in Mary’s life. It was only as God spun His record and as Mary was tuned into the music of FAITH could she open her lips and release praise. Are you hearing the music that God is recording in your life today? Is the needle that is your heart translating to the world around you that God is real and alive in you? We have a singing faith, but not only at a piano; the song is played and heard as our life works as the speakers for God’s will and grace. Is your life one of singing faith?

No comments: