Saturday, March 09, 2013

Blink, blink

Are you familiar with the tradition of blinking or flashing your headlights to warn other motorists of a trooper or law enforcement officer? I'm familiar with it. I've appreciated just such a warning many times in my life. I've given that warning to other motorists, too. (It's illegal in some states, and always illegal on multi-lane highways, by the way. North Carolina does not currently have any position on it, except for the multi-lane rule.)

I'm not the law. I do not think I am the law. I am not the judge. I do not think I am the judge. I am not a law enforcement officer. I do not think I am a law enforcement officer.

I'm simply a traveler warning of potential scrutiny upon one's actions. I'm a traveler; I'm simply saying, "There's someone up ahead looking into what we are doing on the road."

Are you ever angry at someone for giving you a warning like this? Do you consider it "judging" you?

Why then is there anger in us when someone warns us of moral law? Why then is there anger when someone would give a warning of impending judgment?

I know why...

We might say, "What right have you to tell me that your understanding of moral law applies to me?" We might say, "I do not believe in your moral law. I do not care about your moral values."

I'm learning to appreciate the warnings and the opportunity to consider my actions.

In life, I am a traveler. I'm fairly certain there's someone up ahead looking into our actions as we travel along the roadway of life.

Blink, blink.

"My conscience is clear, but that doesn't prove I'm right. It is the Lord himself who will examine me and decide." -- 1 Corinthians 4:4, New Living Translation

No comments: