Saturday, March 30, 2013

I will remember...



Today is given many names in various cultures. I grew up hearing the church folk call it "Holy Saturday." Early in my faith walk, I began calling it "Silent Saturday." (A couple of the best days of my entire life were celebrating today by remaining silent and reflective all day.)

Some people call it "Easter Eve." In the Philippines it is called "Black Saturday." In Slovakia it is called "White Saturday" and is traditionally a day in which many are baptized.  

In many Eastern Orthodox traditions, today is called "The Great Sabbath" because it is held that Jesus rested in the grave from all His work of obedience in His life and with His death. 

I like these perspectives and I love the idea of "The Great Sabbath." God is resting (again) after doing a great work. 

We all know when God finished six days of creation, He rested (Genesis 2:2). Creating the universe was easy work for God. He hovered over the void and simply made everything by the word of His power, and He made it for Himself and He Himself sustains it (Genesis 1:2, Colossians 1:16, Hebrews 1:3). Psalm 19:1 says, "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork." All created things are a work of His hands. He crafted it with His word and with His fingers. 

Then, He rested. God made all that is, and He rested from His work and said it was very good. 

It's a beautiful thought to think God was pleased with His work of salvation. I like the image seen in Isaiah 53:1, "Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?" I love this thought: in Creation, God did a work of His voice and hands and fingers, but in salvation, He rolled up His sleeves and bore His strength in defeating sin, hell and death!

It makes sense to me that Jesus rested. His work was good. His work was VERY GOOD. He ran the race. He indeed did finish His course. He could say, like no one had ever said, "It is finished."

Whatever I do today, I want to remember His good work. I thank God that it is finished. I thank God that He created life and rested. Man has created death and remains in toil. Jesus killed death, and rested. Whatever I do today, I will remember and honor this great work and rest of Jesus. Thank You, Father. 



No comments: