Thursday, May 23, 2013

Authority Nobly Used

What would you command everyone to do if all authority was yours? 

I bet your mind started spinning with the things you would change, and most of those things are the things that irk you or affect you. You may have even thought about something funny, like being able to drive as fast as you want without being penalized or being the boss of your boss for a while. 

I'll be honest... if that question was posed to me, I'd probably tend toward selfish scenarios; I'd consider how I could better my life.

That's why the Great Commission blows me away...

Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."
I believe Him. I mean, think about it, He calmed storms, so He had the weather on lock. He healed diseases, so He put smack-down on pain and sickness. He commanded demons, who didn't like Him, but couldn't deny Him. He ordered the dead to come back to life, so even the most final thing could not resist the word of His power.

So, yeah...I believe Him.

What does Jesus do with "all authority"? Simple, He commands those who follow Him to go and teach others to follow Him.

Sure, one day, EVERY PERSON will bow! I believe that, too. Right now, as the Lord of all, Jesus chooses to exercise at least some of His authority to commission His disciples to selfless work. I love this. I'm not going to fight it; I'll receive this commission!

"And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'" (Matthew 28:18-20, ESV)

No comments: