Thursday, June 04, 2009

Luke #60 - I Can Help

Luke #60 – I Can Help
“Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto Him; and He laid His hands on every one of them, and healed them. And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, ‘Thou art Christ the Son of God.’ And He rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that He was Christ” (Luke 4:40-41 – King James Version).


At my chiropractor’s office the lady always answers the phone with this greeting: “It’s a good day at Williams Chiropractic! This is Rana; I can help you.” I usually am lying on the table getting my neck snapped back into proper order when I hear her say that and I wonder; “Oh yeah...can you?” Rana is a nice lady and Dr. Williams is a wonderful chiropractor and they both have confidence that the chiropractic field can make the world feel better. Rana answers that phone and declares she can help with such surety that I want to believe her when she says “I can help.” Sure, my neck feels better, but there is so much more wrong with me!

Jesus started His day in Capernaum teaching in the synagogue. He cast out evil spirits from a man and healed Peter’s mother-in-law. Now the crowds thronged around Him with divers, or all kinds, of sickness asking for healing. He moved among the crowd touching people and casting out sickness and demons. That must have been a beautiful scene; to watch the Lord Jesus tenderly laying hands on person after person and dramatically changing their lives.

When Jesus said, “Come to me all ye who are heavy laden and I will give you rest,” He meant it! That was His way of saying “I can help!” There are a lot of people in this world who want to help, but none like Jesus.

There are a great many unsolved mysteries of the human body known as sickness; man cannot cure them all and in many cases do not have the first clue as to how to treat or maintain them. I would be presumptuous at best to say I have any clue. Though I know Jesus CAN heal them, I would be doubly presumptuous to try to guess why He does in some cases and does not in other cases. Yes, some sickness IS caused by sin and can be cured by repentance (a subject that is little talked of these days). Yes, some sickness is to glorify God, that as He works His glorification in us we praise Him beyond (or in spite of) our circumstances. Other than that I just don’t know.

What I do know is that Jesus did not come to the earth, live and die to heal every sickness, but He did come to fill the pain with Himself. The disappearance of human suffering will not happen this side of heaven, but the filling of God through Christ Jesus can happen the moment we turn in full surrender.

Let me challenge you to think about something…

Who do you turn to FIRST for your health, emotional, spiritual, and mental sicknesses?

Do you turn to doctors, friends, 12 step programs, psychics, or any other of the host of worldly solutions? Yes, God uses doctors and friends and the occasional 12 step program (though I am POSITIVE He doesn’t use psychic weirdos who take money to tell people junk!). The question at hand is not who God uses; the question is who do you turn to first?

Even the demons believe in Jesus and tremble; today’s verses teach us that. They obviously recognized and feared His power. Do we? Today’s lesson is really quite simple…no matter the problem you may be facing, turn to Jesus. He may not heal your sickness, but He will fill you with Himself. Whether in the throes of depression or grief, burdened with sin, or beat down in the body, there is nothing He cannot handle and we certainly will not surprise our sovereign and omniscient God when we come to Him with our problems. His holiness may be offended by our sin, but His healing hand of grace will answer confidently with “I can help!”

No comments: