Friday, June 05, 2009

Luke #61 - Demons? Here? Now?

Luke #61 – Demons? Here? Now?
“And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, ‘Thou art Christ the Son of God.’ And He rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that He was Christ” (Luke 4:41 – King James Version).

It was late at night and I can’t even remember the city I was in, but I lay awake watching that city’s local news. There was a high speed chase on the streets that night; praise God no one was injured and the culprit was apprehended. As the news teams talked with the police, I could see the man in the background, sitting in the police car. He kept insisting that a demon was after him. The policeman chuckled and said, “He’s hopped up on dope.”

Drugs do make people do some strange things, but I cannot believe that every evil or strange things that are done these days can be accounted to drugs alone. That man may have been on drugs that night on the news, but whatever was the case, he looked awfully scared. Whatever was after him scared him more than those policemen. Even considering drugs cannot account for all the crimes and horrible things that are done. I believe, just in Jesus’ day, there are still demons at work within and around the realm of mankind.

Now that reality doesn’t sit well in many minds of the day, but that doesn’t change the truth of it one iota. What then do we do with the knowledge of this reality? We pray against evil; we cast evil away by the power and in the name of Christ Jesus; we win those captured souls to our Lord. Paul said, “A final word: Be strong with the Lord's mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms. Use every piece of God's armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the sturdy belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News, so that you will be fully prepared. In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the fiery arrows aimed at you by Satan. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray at all times and on every occasion in the power of the Holy Spirit. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all Christians everywhere.” (Ephesians 6:10-18 – NLT).

No matter the stage, no matter the odds, stand against the powers of evil that are raging. Not only did demons possess people in Jesus’ time on earth, I believe they still do. We need to realize and be ready for them.

I know this…demons could not stand to be around Jesus! So, that’s where I want to be…near Jesus! He promised He would never leave us and I am going to do my best to stick with Him. As a matter of fact, I want to be so true and pure of a vessel for the presence of Christ that demons get almighty nervous around me or flee altogether. There is nothing in me, save that presence of Christ in the Holy Spirit, which can stand against these supernatural powers, so I know, if for no other reason than to keep me from this evil, that I want Jesus to be near me and in control of me.

How about that? Demons in the 21st century might sound strange, but I truly believe they are at work here and now. I know this too…my conquering and good God is still alive and still on His throne! He reigns! He is jealous over His children! He is able to save! I will call upon His name and He shall my shield and strength be! Jesus’ touch cast out demons; my prayer is this: Take not Thy hand of mercy and grace from me, O God of my strength and salvation!

No comments: