Saturday, February 23, 2013

A provocation, brought on by Psalm 119:89


In the local church body in which I fellowship, we are chronologically reading the Bible.

I sat down to begin today's reading and was doubly encouraged by Psalm 119:89. I must share something, here, today. First, let me begin with four translations of the same verse.

"Forever, O LORD, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens." (Psalm 119:89 ESV)
"Your eternal word, O Lord, stands firm in heaven." (Psalm 119:89 NLT)
"For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven." (Psalm 119:89 KJV)
"Lord, Your word is forever; it is firmly fixed in heaven." (Psalm 119:89 HCSB)

The word of God is eternal, for it is uttered from Him who is eternal. His word is fixed, stationed, erected, established and standed in heaven.

As soon as I read those words, my heart jumped! I had the image of Jesus -- the Word, the Logos -- standing in heaven, as when Stephen died (Acts 7:56). I had the image of Jesus returning to the Father, as was His rightful place (John 16:28). He received His glory back upon Himself and took up His eternal place, having finished the work the Father sent Him to do. These images thrilled me.

But, God's "word" here in Psalm 119:89 does not refer to the Logos / Word that is Jesus. The "word" means "speech." What God says is fixed in heaven. It is established there. His speech, what God says, is erected in a place where man's hands cannot alter it.

Many times, dear friends, I've exhorted our body to "say the same thing" as God. We must, in our lives, come into agreement with God. To agree with God is to say what is established and unchangeable in the heavenlies.

When it comes to sin, we must agree with God.
When it comes to righteousness, we must agree with God.
When it comes to purpose, we must agree with God.
To walk in His promise(s), we must agree with God.
To know His freedom, we must agree with God.

His word is settled. His word is firmly fixed. His word stands firm.

Mr. Gilliam told me once that he began the practice of saying aloud that he agreed with God when he encountered something in God's word. He told me he did that because his heart did not already have that practice as habit. He shared how when his mind and mouth began to be in the habit of agreeing with God, his heart followed.

I do not know if you need that practice of speaking agreement aloud, but perhaps you do. Perhaps that discipline will teach us new affections.

We agree with so much that is temporal, but, as the Word says about His word, "...earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away" (Matthew 24:35 HCSB), so we should be wise and agree with the eternal.

No comments: