Friday, February 22, 2013

Be a man!

Be a man! 
But, how? 
What is a man? Shall I curse? Shall I smoke? Must I make money, money, money? Does it lie in accomplishment? Shall I fight? Will trophies help? Must women be the object of my conquest? Must I kill? Will voting make me a man? Is it age? 16? 18? 21? 
Just tell me. 

"Be strong, and show yourself a man" (1 Kings 2:2b ESV) 

Aaaah! I get it! I've got to be strong! MUSCLES! Superiority! Never cry! I shall do it.

No.
What? What am I missing?

"The Lord lifteth up the meek: he casteth the wicked down to the ground. He delighteth not in the strength of the horse: he taketh not pleasure in the legs of a man." -- (Psalm 147:6 and 10 KJV)

It's not physical strength that makes a man, nor is it strength that keeps one from being a man.

"The Lord taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy." -- (Psalm 147:11 KJV)

So...okay...what does that look like? What does it look like to fear God and hope in His mercy?

Be strong! Be a man! David said to his son, Solomon, "Be strong, and show yourself a man, and keep the charge of the LORD your God, walking in his ways and keeping his statutes, his commandments, his rules, and his testimonies..." (1 Kings 2:2b-3a ESV)

A man walks with God. A man keeps Gods word. A man's real strength is not found in his weapons or his muscles, but in God. A real man's strength is not found in his weapons or his muscles, but in God. A strong man walk with God and honors God's word.

Be a man!

No comments: