Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Flipping the Script on my Pride...

One of the toughest things to desire is also one of the best things to have: HUMILITY. God, help me to want it, for I surely know You desire to grant it.

“He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way.” (Psalm 25:9 ESV)
“For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: ‘I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.’” (Isaiah 57:15 ESV)
“All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the Lord. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.” (Isaiah 66:2 ESV)
 “Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,” (1 Peter 5:6 ESV)
“Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.” (Philippians 2:3-11 ESV)
“But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, ‘God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’” (James 4:6 ESV)
“Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” (Matthew 23:12 ESV)
“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV)
“If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.” (2 Corinthians 11:30 ESV)
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV)
“He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: ‘Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’’” (Luke 18:9-14 ESV)
“Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” (1 Peter 5:5 ESV)
“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.” (James 4:10 ESV)
“With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,” (Ephesians 4:2 ESV)
“Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” (Proverbs 16:18 ESV)
“When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.” (Proverbs 11:2 ESV)

“When the Lord saw that they humbled themselves, the word of the Lord came to Shemaiah: ‘They have humbled themselves. I will not destroy them, but I will grant them some deliverance, and my wrath shall not be poured out on Jerusalem by the hand of Shishak.’” (2 Chronicles 12:7 ESV)

No comments: