Friday, November 17, 2006

I Want to be a Mule

I Want To Be A Mule

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Look, I'm going to rain down food from heaven for you. The people can go out each day and pick up as much food as they need for that day. I will test them in this to see whether they will follow My instructions."
--Exodus 16:4; New Living Translation

I lived near the Lawrence family for a few months in my life. They own Percheron draft horses. The Lawrence's are a great Christian family. The father, Tommy, used to let me help out with the horses. I'd work with their oldest two sons, Chip and Scott. I learned a lot from that family. Oddly enough, the thing that stuck with me the longest was something Chip once told me about mules. We would give the horses a scoop of sweet feed once a day. We had to make sure the horses could never get at the sweet feed on their own. I asked Chip why one day. He explained that horses like sweet feed like candy, and if you let them, they will literally eat it until their stomach bursts! That was fascinating to me! Chip further explained that people believed mules to be stupid, but, unlike a horse, given the opportunity to eat all the sweet feed they want, they will only eat until full.

We visit Exodus 16:4 today. The second part of the verse explains to us why God chose to drop food on a daily basis. God wanted to test the people to see if they would follow His instructions. He wanted to see if the people had the kind of faith that would allow them to live hand to mouth. God wanted to see if they trusted Him enough to do what He said.

That sounds simple, doesn't it? Can we say, today, that we trust God enough to do what He says? Can we say that we trust Him to be satisfied with just enough to get through the day? Can we embrace daily provision, or will we rebel and demand more?

The mule is satisfied with enough. The horse wants more, even when damaging itself. I want to be a mule. I want to have my fill of what is provided, and be content. I want "mule faith" too. I want to be satisfied with what God has given me without worrying if more is to come. I want to learn to live, in faith, hand to mouth, knowing tomorrow is in the sovereign hand of God. I want to be challenged and found not wanting when God says, "Trust Me."

I know this will be tough. The key is what Jesus said in John 15:5; "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing" (NLT). The key is to stay near the source. That is what God wanted to teach the Hebrew people; stay near the source and trust in it. That is also the challenge…stay near the source.

No comments: