Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Minority Report

The Minority Report

Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon His name. -- Malachi 3:16; King James Version

It is often very difficult to be in the minority of the right. How is that determined, the right, that is? Easily, the right is determined in any age as that which is propagated and approved by God.

The prime example is Jesus. He alone stood for God and was alone crucified, though He was not guilty. Even the authority that condemned Jesus recognized that Jesus was not guilty of wrong (Matthew 27:23-24). He was a minority for sure!

I have seen many minorities of opinion and action that daily go unheralded. I remember many the times a certain Christian man, with whom I used to work, who would walk away from us or refuse to laugh at our lewd jokes. We scoffed at that man's attitude. (I was not a Christian at this point in my life and thought that man ridiculous, but now stand in admiration of his resolve.) That certain fellow held our lewdness, not in contempt, but in pity, refusing to participate. He was a minority.

Offering honest testimony: I feel many times that I must live as a moral minority in order to obey God and honor Him with my life. This is often lonely. I fight the urge to go along that I may get along. Am I saying I am better than anyone? No, and if you hear that, please forgive my lack of ability to express myself in a more proper fashion. Do I always WANT to obey God? Yes. Do I always find it EASY? No. Do I often WANT to jump into situations that would not honor God? Yes. Do I sometimes want to shade the truth that it might fit my desires? No. Yet, do I struggle with doing that thing that I WANT to do? Yes.

Where am I going with all of this? It's hard to express, for sure. I was reading Malachi this morning and found some encouragement there.

You see, dear friends, we live in a world that continues to show disdain for truth, falling deeper into the pit of relevance. There are times when I feel like I MUST be wrong about things if so many people act in opposite of my understanding of truth. Let me illustrate. Take MY understanding of God's view on divorce. I understand God's word to say He disapproves of divorce, BUT everyone is doing it, so it MUST be okay, right? No. I know it's a sin according to God's word, but I often WANT to bend or soften my views. Do you know what I mean?

When I read Malachi 3 this morning I saw a minority that loved God and stood for Him. Judah was in a moral shambles. Furthermore, they were far away from God, though they kept up good appearance. BUT, BUT, BUT -- there was a minority that "feared the Lord" and "spake often" of the things of the Lord and "thought upon His name". THAT was a definite minority in that society. Here is the encouraging part; the "LORD hearkened, and heard it". WOW!

There WERE a few people that loved the Lord and HE HEARD THEM!!!!

As the title suggests, this is more of testimony than a devotion. I am encouraged to be in the minority that stands with God. I feel more free to speak of Him with that cadre that stands with me in the minority. MOST IMPORTANTLY, massive numbers are not needed for God to hear and move; He hears even the minority.

No comments: