Sunday, January 10, 2021

A liberal sower...

A liberal sower...

One of my core values is to always be about discipleship. When it comes to people, be a disciple of Jesus in all circumstances. Whether I am discipling someone or being discipled by someone, I want my dealings with people to be characterized by discipleship.

Any person can be my teacher, and, likewise, in some way or the other, I can be any person's teacher.

In conversations, in every relationship, in small and large interactions, and even on social media, I want to sow God's word, trusting the Holy Spirit to plow soil, make seed take root, and bear godly fruit.

I love how the writer of Ecclesiastes said, "In the morning sow your seed, and at evening withhold not your hand, for you do not know which will prosper, this or that, or whether both alike will be good." (Ecclesiastes 11:6 ESV) See it? Morning or night, sow!

Sow all the time! We don't know what will prosper, so just sow.

In Thomas Hastings' hymn, "He That Goeth Forth With Weeping," Hastings wrote of faithful sowing:

"He that goeth forth with weeping,
Bearing precious seed in love,
Never tiring, never sleeping,
Findeth mercy from above.

"Soft descend the dews of heaven,
Bright the rays celestial shine;
Precious fruits will thus be given
Through an influence all divine.

"Sow thy seed; be never weary;
Let no fears thy soul annoy;
Be the prospect ne’er so dreary,
Thou shalt reap the fruits of joy.

"Lo! the scene of verdure brightening,
See the rising grain appear:
Look again; the fields are whitening,
For the harvest time is near."

I don't know that I am a good sower, but I do know I long to be a faithful sower! I want to be known as generous. I want a liberal output of seed slinging. At any rate, as long as I sling solid seed, which is the Word of God, the Spirit will do with HIS seed better than I could ever do!

Sow!!! Let's go!



No comments: