Wednesday, January 06, 2021

I keep a close watch...

Like a sea captain of old kept an eye on the stars, I keep a close watch on this heart of mine...

God loves you. There’s nothing you can do about that. However, there is much we can do or not do that will cause us to miss out on experiencing or enjoying His love. 

It’s not that God is narrow; it’s that in a highly broken world, it’s a narrow path to stay out of the wild, wide mess. 

Don't you want to be on the narrow road? I do! Well, that requires a watchful spirit when it comes to maintaining our confession and abiding in Jesus. 

In the old days, sailors would use a compass and a sextant to navigate by day --with the sun-- and by night --with the moon and stars. This way, when they could see and when they couldn't --in light and in darkness-- they could determine their way. They could stay the course. 

The Apostle Paul counseled believers in Corinth thus: "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!" (2 Corinthians 13:5 ESV)

Beloved, this isn't about paranoia. Nor does it concern living under the weight of constant guilt. Neither is this living under the constant judgment of people. 

It's simple... if we want to stay the course, we have to keep our bearings. If we want to abide, we must be willing to...well...abide! So, we check. We walk the walk and work the word and stay the course and hold fast. 

The Spirit of God is our compass and God's word is our sextant. Check the signs! Keep your eye on the Son! The Bright and Morning Star will never lead you astray! 

It's no hymn or CCM hit, but Johnny Cash nailed it when he sang, "I keep a close watch on this heart of mine. I keep my eyes wide open all the time." For Johnny, it was a love song. It is for me, too, except I'm not singing to my lady, I'm singing for my soul. Know why? Because I want to stay the course; in the dark times of life and in the Light that is Jesus, I want to stay the course. 

Help me, dear Lord, to navigate this raging sea of life. I trust You to always guide the way. Help me keep my eyes on YOU!



No comments: