Thursday, January 14, 2021

Are you a hypocrite?

Are you a hypocrite? Are you an actor on the stage of life? Are you a pretender in this life that is no fantasy?

If our hypocrisy is confronted, are we ready to deal with it?

Only Jesus is found in the New Testament calling people hypocrites. One thing I'm learning is this: Jesus can rightly call someone a hypocrite because He knows every human heart perfectly. We can only take a guess, and often an educated one, but God knows. I've called people hypocrites, and I've been called a hypocrite. I've been wrong, and I've been right; both in the role of accuser and accused.

The spiritual heart that is accused simply says to the Lord, with no malice toward their accuser, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" (ref: Psalm 139:23-24). Then, that heart trusts God to reveal truth and move to healing or release from false guilt.

The spiritual heart that accuses an individual trembles in reverent fear, praying it's an oracle of God, not the folly of the flesh. If it's found to be folly, that person repents and humbles themselves for repentance and reconciliation.

The Lord often delivers message to others through us and to us through others. We MUST be ready to consider if the accusation comes from the Lord. That's what King David did when Shimei cursed him (ref: 2 Samuel 16:5-14). David said, "But the king said, 'What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the LORD has said to him, "Curse David," who then shall say, ‘Why have you done so?'" (2 Samuel 16:10 ESV)

My point is this, and it's twofold: (1) we ought to tremble with fear if we accuse an individual or a group of hypocrisy. (2) if we are accused, instead of blowing up in the face of the person or the idea, we should consider whether the Lord is trying to break through to us.

Peace unto you all, and may the grace and mercy of God visit your every step.



No comments: