Thursday, October 12, 2006

Being Real and Wanting the Best

Being Real and Wanting the Best

May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.
-- Jude, verse 2; English Standard Version

I'm learning, but I'm way behind. I've learned things like "LOL" which means "Laughing out loud"; "AAMOF" means "As a matter of fact"; "IMO" means "in my opinion". Apparently, there are thousands of these types of phrases. I don't even know what they are called, but I think they are called "chat shorthand". These language expressions are part of the many new ways we have of communicating. It's makes typing easier, but I wonder if we are really saying anything that matters any more?

That's just one part of my curiosity. We have so many ways to say whatever we want to say and take so few opportunities to say anything at all. You know what I mean; we don't REALLY talk. We don't really listen to what others are saying beyond the words, nor do we find many people that open up and let their real selves be known.

My pastor has talked about this often. I've heard him theorize that it's at its worst with "church people". He says that we mostly employ "church chat". By that he means that we intentionally talk about surface stuff without talking about things of real consequence or importance.

I agree.

Secondly, and I'm not trying to sound "down in the mouth" here, we have bought into a very self pleasing culture. Every thing around us is shouting "It's all about YOU!" We know it's not and the few times we say as much the world says "Make it about YOU!" Hockey. That's what that is.

Still, we often approach life like it's about us. We don't wish the best for others, not because we are all jerks and don't care, but because we are often so busy trying to "take care of number one".

That's why, at least in my estimation, biblical salutations always stand out to me. Take Jude's for example; we don't really know if it was written to Christians in general or to Jewish Christians. I really don't care; God gave it to me and you by His divine hand through the New Testament canon. I like the way Jude chooses to talk to me, or I should say the way God chose to use Jude to speak to me.

Think about the way Jude started his letter -- MMPALBMTY -- in case you didn't get it, he said "May mercy, peace and love be multiplied to you."

Just that little greeting is chocked full of powerful good wishes. Of these words Albert Barnes* said, "This is not quite the form of salutation used by the other apostles, but it is one equally expressive of an earnest desire for their welfare. These things are mentioned as the choicest blessings which could be conferred on them: “mercy” - in the pardon of all their sins and acceptance with God; “peace” - with God, with their fellow-men, in their own consciences, and in the prospect of death; and “love” - to God, to the brethren, to all the world. What blessings are there which these do not include?" Yep, Al old boy, I'd say that's quite expressive!

There is not a lot of big time ideas in today's devotion. I am simply sharing something that hit me tonight as I was reading Jude. I want to REALLY communicate with people. I talk about others, but I can be as closed off as anyone else I know. Also, I want to wish the best for others more. I'm asking God to help me with these two things today.

Even you all; I want the best for you. I want to open up more with you too. So, with every bit of sincerity I can muster, this is what I want for you today...
MMPALBMTY
And I'll be praying it happens too!





*Albert Barnes (1798-1870)
Albert Barnes was a Presbyterian minister who produced a number of valuable commentaries on the Bible. He wrote Old Testament commentaries on Job, Psalms, Isaiah, and Daniel, and a complete set on the New Testament. These works have been extremely popular in both Europe and the U.S., selling into the millions of copies, though his Old Testament productions are generally considered to be superior to the New Testament works—which were written mostly for Sunday school teachers. Educated at Princeton seminary, Barnes was a dedicated student. He arose early in the morning and studied by lamplight—which sustained practice almost cost him his eyesight. For forty years he maintained an association with the First Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia.

No comments: