Monday, October 16, 2006

What to do with Dissenters

What to do with Dissenters

And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh. -- Jude, verses 22-23; English Standard Version

Since God has called me into ministry as a vocation I have been often amazed at the stupidity of people. Yes, I said stupidity. Let me restate that...heartless stupidity.

I have heard every argument on the face of the planet about the various "hot topics" of theological debate. I know where I stand, and am doubtful I will move. I stand IN God's word, doing my best to understand and obey. I am imperfect (I know that surprises some of you). I've got some growing to do as well. There are some things I may change my mind about, like whether the Scripture gives us room to have female deacons. I AM open to debate and learning here, although I am pretty convinced they have a different ROLE (not worth) than male deacons. There are, however, some things I will never change my mind about, such as my views on Scripture and the means of salvation. Concrete. No, steel. No, bound in heaven. Won't change. That's the point!

I believe the Bible...every word of it and even the spaces between the words. End of story.

I believe that Christ Jesus is THE ONLY way to be reconciled to God. End of story.

There are a few other examples, but you get the point.

I have heard these, and many other things, argued by sides (sometimes more than two) who each thought they were equally right. IN VERY FEW CASES have I seen these things argued with love and mercy as their back drop.

It seems to me that people just want to be right. It seems to me that people want to be right no matter what. It seems to me that people want to be right no matter what they have to do or say and no matter how they do or say it.

Just because people are polite, it does not make them loving. If you soak a bullet in sugar it can still kill. If you wrap a knife in silk it just slides in more smoothly. To me, hateful words in soft tones are worse than those with grit.

Jude tells us what to do. He does not tell us to back off of our beliefs. He does not tell us NOT to confront people. He does NOT tell us to walk away. He does NOT tell us to give up, give in or give over. He tells us to "have" and "show" mercy. Hear that? Mercy. People need to be shown and told the right way, but WITH MERCY, not with malice or arrogance.

Now, let's look at what Brother Paul said to Brother Titus. Paul said "empty talkers and deceivers" need to be "silenced" (Titus 1:10-11; ESV). Paul said to "rebuke them sharply" (Titus 1:13; ESV). Did Paul want them imprisoned or put away or executed? Nope. He wanted them CONVERTED if they were lost or set soundly in the faith if they were deceived Christians (Titus 1:13).

Jude says to have mercy. Paul (to Titus) says a Christian "must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it" (Titus 1:7b-9; ESV).

Have mercy. Show mercy. Be a lover of good. Be upright. Hold firm. Give instruction in sound doctrine (teaching). Rebuke those that contradict it. Do it. Do it the right way with the right mind, heart and motivation...to win them.

Back off. Nope. As they say in the South...act ugly? Nope. Be a jerk? Nope. DEMAND your way? Nope. (After all, were we to demand our rights, we'd all get hell! --Don't believe me? Read Romans 6:23)

Love. Convince. Show and have mercy. Do things God's way. That's what we do with dissenters.

A "Christian argument" should be so filled with love that both parties walk away weeping because they've done their best to be with God. We don't hate people. As a matter of fact, we can hate sin and deception, but we should do our best to love the sinner and the deceived.

That's what we do with dissenters.

No comments: