Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Everyone Has an Eternity

Everyone Has an Eternity
And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. -- Luke 16:22-23; King James Version

I was just a little fellow, but I understood what it meant to have a broken heart. I wanted to play football with the older boys, but knew if I went to the field they wouldn't let me play. One of my brother's friends, a jerk if there ever was one, talked me into riding the bicycles down with them anyway. He said, "You'll get to play. C'mon...everyone gets to play." I went. They didn't let me play. With a totally broken heart, yet a defiant voice, I said, "Why didn't I get to play?" My brother's friend said, "You did get to play...you played the bench!"

I think about that story a lot when I think about lost people. I bet you think that's strange.

I was lied to by that boy. I was told I would be able to play. That boy thought he was funny. He thought it was funny to tell me I was playing "the bench". I didn't think it was funny at all.

You see, dear friends, it breaks my heart to think that some people are going to hell. Every single person has an eternity. Those that submit to God in Christ Jesus have an eternity in the presence of God. Every one that does not has an eternity of hell to face.

It breaks my heart to think there are millions who think, for whatever reason, that they are going to heaven when they have not accepted Christ as Lord. They are plodding through life, like children riding bikes to a game they can't play, thinking if they are good enough - work hard enough - do whatever enough - they'll be let in the game. Some just think that because they are a person they'll be let in. Some don't know; they are ignorant that the game is even afoot. Some don't care at all.

Whatever the reason, it breaks my heart. I'm serious. I really don't know how to express how much it breaks my heart. Satan is a vicious liar who wants us all to think that we're in the game and also that none of us are. What a cruel joke he's trying to play!

Lazarus has an eternity. The rich man has one too. Every one has an eternity.

This much is sure, and I've heard it said before, we can't will people into heaven and we can't save them ourselves; but, we can make them trip over us on their way to hell. We can refuse to not be heard. We can love, even when it's not returned. We can be laughed at and ridiculed. We can give. We can pray. We can refuse to give up.

Some one MAY listen. Some one may be quickened, brought from death into life. Some one may have their eternity changed. After all, every one DOES have an eternity. What do you think of when you read those words?

Every one has an eternity. For some I rejoice over that fact. For others I am completely broken.

I am sure that hell will be much worse than that feeling I had that day that boy tricked me. I am also sure that if hell were ONLY that cruel then it would be more than I'd wish on anyone.

Think of those you love. How many have an eternity that frightens you? Risk. Tell them. Love them beyond that which they deserve. That's the way God loved us. That's the way He loves them.

Not a lost person comes into my path that I don't think about that day when I was lied to and had my heart broken. I think God uses that to well up compassion and nerve in me. Also, I always think of the FACT that every one has an eternity. I cannot live without trying my best to see them know my God.

Tell me, what do you think about when you think of people going to hell? I hope it breaks your heart too.

No comments: