Saturday, October 07, 2006

Wedding thoughts

I officiated in a wedding tonight. What was so interesting about it was the couple's desire to understand and adhere to biblical ideas of marriage. It was pleasantly the most interesting service that I have officiated thus far in my ministerial career.

I wish more young people (or people in general--these two happened to be young) would enter into the covenant relationship of marriage with the reverence and sincerity as these two young people. They really sought to honor and please God.

I'm only thirty-five, so when I say "these days" I am not reminiscing about the 1950's or some bygone era that can never be recaptured again. THESE DAYS people treat marriage like a car; if they get tired of it, just trade it in for a new one. HOCKEY!!!! That's what you call that! Marriage is meant to last until death does a couple part.

Here's the funny thing, and it really extends beyond a single subject, such as marriage; a sure sign that a person or a society is moving away from caring what God thinks of things is that __________ becomes "whatever" instead of the thing God desires or designed it to be. Insert whatever you want into the blank. One of my favorite subjects is the idea of what it means to be a man these days; or to extend that, what it means to be an adult.

We think adult means...

Someone tell me. If anyone does find this, let me know. I think the Scripture is clear, but we are a long ways from being biblically "adult".

At any rate, I digress.I had a great time at the wedding. Happy 4 hour anniversary to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Michael Luhn, also know as Joe Luhn and Mandy Bouldin Luhn. I pray you guys have an awesome honeymoon and KNOW you are headed toward a wonderful life together in the mystical union of marriage.

No comments: