Sunday, February 02, 2020

Being married is good. Being single is good.

Both are good callings...
To be called to single celibacy or to enjoy full fruits of marriage are both a good thing.
Paul said, "Now as a concession, not a command, I say this. I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another." (1 Corinthians 7:6-7 ESV)

I'll say something here that people shy away from quite a bit these days; from a biblical standpoint, sex is assumed to be something enjoyed in marriage (see 1 Corinthians 7:1-5 and other references as well). Be that as it may, whether the discussion is about being single or being married, sex, or the lack there of, is neither the primary or only thing to be considered. We should talk about it as mature, responsible believers, because it is the topic du jour these days.
However, that's not what stands out to me when I read verses 6-7. I have some friends committed to singleness. They are called to it; at least for the season they are in, that is what they discern from the Lord.
I've heard my friends tell people they are committed to singleness, and I've heard them say it more than once. Still, people often say things like "When are you getting married?" or "I got somebody for you" or "Don't you want kids?"
You see, these seem like innocent questions, and, most of the time, they don't come from lack of love, but these questions often fail to consider the call to singleness people have. It's like telling a person called to the foreign mission field "shouldn't you just stay here?" It's not respecting the call on that person's life!
To be called to marriage is good! To be called to singleness is good! Both are good callings! When someone hears from God and obeys Him, that's a good thing. Let's learn to support each other.

No comments: