Sunday, April 26, 2020

A sound response to the worldliness around us.

How to answer worldliness...
If you want to stay on the course of godliness and not get caught in the traps of the world, here's a word for you.
"Sanballat and Geshem sent to me, saying, 'Come and let us meet together at Hakkephirim in the plain of Ono.' But they intended to do me harm. And I sent messengers to them, saying, 'I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?' And they sent to me four times in this way, and I answered them in the same manner." (Nehemiah 6:2-4 ESV)

Nehemiah charts a course!
First, be about the Lord's business and that will take care of so many other issues. Nehemiah said, "I am doing a great work..." Nehemiah has noble and pure purposes, so ignoble and impure activities hold a lesser appeal.
Secondly, know what is greater and lesser. Nehemiah said, "...I cannot come down." Nehemiah recognized the worldly influences were calling him down from his lofty work.
Thirdly, understand that Kingdom work is eternal, and unending. Nehemiah said, "Why should the work stop..."? There's no let up in the need of holy labor, so let there be no let up in holy labors.
Fourthly, it may not speak to a person being classless, but we must understand when a classless activity is being offered. Nehemiah said, "Why should...I...come down to you?"
Fifthly, stand strong over and over and over again; no matter how many times we have to say no, say no to unworthy invitations. Nehemiah said, "And they sent to me four times in this way, and I answered them in the same manner."
We cannot stop worldly influences from provocation and temptation, but we can have a sound response. The first thing IS the best thing in responding to worldliness: BE ABOUT THE FATHER'S BUSINESS! The other parts are key too, but if we are not about the Father's business, the other points become moot.
Many of us have no clue the worldly are enticing us because we've never made a break with worldliness. We don't recognize unholy labors and intentions because we've not begun holy labors. We have to answer worldliness within before we will resist it without.
God is able!
Be blessed today, beloved friends.

No comments: