Friday, April 24, 2020

Every good gift comes down from the Father of lights.

If being "good" ever had a reason...
"A good man obtains favor from the LORD, but a man of evil devices he condemns." (Proverbs 12:2 ESV)
We know "No one is good except God alone," (Jesus in Mark 10:18), so this puts us in a quandary. Or, does it?

Do we understand the implications of these things? If someone does some good, it is God doing that good through them. Brother James said, "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." (James 1:17 ESV)
The "good" multiplies and magnifies when we recognize and reverence the Source of good. We may become, for God's good purposes, a cup of good, but God desires surrender to Himself that we might become a channel of good, constantly receiving and sending.
"A good man obtains favor from the Lord..."
O! by the varied graces of God, I desire to be a good man! As Harper G. Smith wrote in the old hymn, "Make me a channel of blessing today, Make me a channel of blessing, I pray; My life possessing, my service blessing, Make me a channel of blessing today."
If there was ever any reason to be a good man, surely, this is the one, "A good man obtains favor from the Lord..."
Father, raise up good men across this land.

No comments: