Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Knowing I need grace for me makes me ready to share grace with others.

"Take a look at yourself..."
I was reading Matthew's Gospel account, a song popped into my head. I heard, in the voice of Elvis, "Put Your Hand in the Hand." As I read the story of Jesus walking on water in Matthew 14, a soundtrack began to lightly play as I pressed on into chapter 15.
I heard:
"Put your hand in the hand of the man
Who stilled the water
Put your hand in the hand of the man
Who calmed the sea
Take a look at yourself
And you can look at others differently
Put your hand in the hand of the man
From Galilee"
Then, when I got to 15:8 and thought, I don't want to be that! Let me make sure I'm looking at Jesus and allowing Jesus to help me look at me. I know Matthew 15:8 is a quote of Isaiah 29:13, and I am familiar with that passage, and I do not desire to be guilty in either context.
The passage:
1 Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said,
2 "Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat."
3 He answered them, "And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?
4 For God commanded, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.'
5 But you say, 'If anyone tells his father or his mother, "What you would have gained from me is given to God,"
6 he need not honor his father.' So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God.
7 You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:
8 "'This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'" - Matthew 15:1-9 ESV
Here's my point. I believe in edifying believers. I believe in evangelizing those unsubmitted to God through Christ. I believe in sharing the gospel. I believe in encouraging my brothers and sisters. I believe in confronting wrongdoing and I believe in accountability.
Still, I want to be careful to take a look at Jesus. I want to be careful to take a look at myself. When I remember His goodness and my brokenness, like the song says, I will look at others differently.
It's a lot harder to look on someone else in a harsh way once we've remembered in a fresh way our own desperate need for grace. I'll take that counsel today. How about you?

No comments: