Wednesday, June 24, 2020

How are you determining your ethics?


Modern ethics...
Ethics: "moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior."
Philosophy professor at the University of Wisconsin, Lester H. Hunt, said, "Ancient ethics is a theory of normal life, while modern ethics, by comparison, is a theory of life in crisis. It aims at sorting out the conflicting reasons for different courses of action that come into our heads when we face difficult decisions, declaring which reasons are more important or fundamental and which are less important or, indeed, not good reasons at all."
In other words, we're always trying to figure out what we're supposed to do, why we're supposed to do whatever it is we're supposed to do and how we're going to do it. Ethics are those beliefs-in-action that guide our reasons for doing something or not doing something.
Most of us are interested in doing "what's right" (as the saying goes), so we want to develop personal ethics that lead to doing "what's right".
I'm concerned that any of us might live by ancient or modern ethics. Each is flawed, if Mr. Hunt's definition is to be trusted, that is. "Normal life..." to mankind is self-centered and full of licentiousness. Determining what to do while one's life is "...in crisis..." and deciding on what action is "right" based on what quell's the crisis equates to mob ethics. That's how we turn things like frustrated protest into stealing-burning-riotous destruction -- you know, because so many were doing it, it seemed "right."
Me? I prefer timeless wisdom and holiness in shaping my ethics. The Proverb writer got it. Timeless wisdom calls out, saying, "To you, O men, I call, and my cry is to the children of man. O simple ones, learn prudence; O fools, learn sense. Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right, for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them. They are all straight to him who understands, and right to those who find knowledge." (Proverbs 8:4-9 ESV)
Such wisdom is neither modern nor ancient; it has existed with God since before time began: "The LORD possessed [wisdom] at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of old." (Proverbs 8:22 ESV)
So, let us be wise and let wisdom shape our ethics! The Proverbist continues, "And now, O sons, listen to me: blessed are those who keep my ways. Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it. Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors. For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from the LORD, but he who fails to find me injures himself; all who hate me love death." (Proverbs 8:32-36 ESV)
We should not learn our ethics from what is "normal" to man, for surely, we will be fools. We should not learn our ethics from what quells or answers "crisis" simply for the sake of quieting the problem, for that may lead us to peace with the crowd and disturbance with God at the same time. The Psalmist would put it like this: " Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night." (Psalm 1:1-2 ESV)
Friend, let us seek to shape our ethics by God's word and God's wisdom as we walk in God's ways. Let us disdain any lesser path.



No comments: