Monday, June 08, 2020

I long to be a peacemaker, not a heckler.

The approach...

Do you ever think about how you're going to approach people before going into a situation? Sure, we do that. Do you ever set any life long approaches? We should. Overall, our self-set approach should be God's commanded approach: LOVE. We should say of and to ourselves, "I am setting my sights, attitude and actions on love."

Here's some counsel that might help in that area: "Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight." (Romans 12:16 ESV)

My approach with folks does not include the idea that we are going to perfectly agree on everything or understand everything in the same way, or even that we have the same attitude about everything. However, I walk into relationships with the idea that --number ONE-- we are not at war. You and I -- me and you -- we are not enemies! As Romans 12:18 says, "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all." I'm not set against anyone! I don't walk into situations looking to win or be on top; God is good and HE is best, so my goal is to let God be Lord and for me to be under His lordship.

Particularly, in regard to the Bride of Christ, I want to heed Romans 14:19: "So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding." PURSUE --get after-- peace! PURSUE --chase down-- the things that help build each other up!

So, while I do not expect everyone to be in perfect agreement, I do live with the expectation of harmony. I do set my approach to act in love and set my attitude to seeking peace with others.

Further, I live with the approach that INCLUDES people. Paul said, "Don't be haughty...", which means, don't be highminded. Don't think we are better than anyone! To combat that, we should INTENTIONALLY INCLUDE people who are "...lowly...", meaning humble in attitude and in resource. In other words, our approach to life should not be just about being with people only like us. If we EVER get the attitude that someone is not "good enough" to fellowship with us, we are in deep, deep trouble. Sure, some people are dangerous for us to fellowship with, for they partner in darkness and pursue foolishness, but we're not talking about that type at all; it's wise to disassociate one's self from overtly foolish people. Look around your church -------- is everyone just like you?

Finally, we're aren't to think we're all that wise. Stay humble. When we think we've got it all, we don't approach people and situations like we might be able to learn something or gain something from someone else.

Let us be wise in our approach, even to this day, that we might act in love toward others by...

Seeking peace...

Being humble...

Intentionally working to include others...

And remembering we've got a lot to learn and God can teach us through others.



No comments: