Thursday, August 20, 2020

A workman of the Lord...

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker, rightly handling the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15 ESV)

Are you a workman of the Lord? I want to be! Let's be brave together and take an inventory?

Workman's Inventory #1: Do I work hard in the Word? Do I work the Word? Is the Word working in me? Am I a true student of the Scriptures? Do I make a true and honest effort, in the Word of God, particularly, and in ALL my endeavors in general?

The ESV says, "Do your best..."
KJV: "Study..."
NLT: "Work hard..."
NASB: "Be diligent..."
BSB: "Make every effort..."

Workman's Inventory #2: Am I a man pleaser? Am I more concerned with the thoughts of man or the truth of God?

The ESV says, "...present yourself to God..."
KJV: "...shew thyself ... unto God..."

See it? TO GOD... we are accountable to God!

Workman's Inventory #3: Am I putting on a show for man, or am I living as unto the Lord? Do I desire to please the Lord in all my works? Do I long to know His pleasure upon me?

The ESV says, "...present yourself to God as one approved..."
NLT: "...present yourself to God and receive his approval."
GWT: "...present yourself to God as a tried-and-true worker..."

Workman's Inventory #4: Am I living in any sort of way that you should be ashamed of? Even as I look at my weaknesses, can I say I am allowing God into those spaces in my mind, heart, spirit, and flesh? Is there any area I am resisting God, rebelling, living in pride, or failing to surrender or be humble?

God desires His workman to live in such a manner that they have no reason to be ashamed of their own lives, His goodness, His Word, His Spirit, or the labors God has put before them.

The ESV says, "...who has no need to be ashamed..."
YLT: "...a workman irreproachable..."

Workman's Inventory #5: Am I capable? Do I believe God's to be true? Do I trust God's Word to accomplish God's intentions without my manipulation, trusting the Spirit to lead people? Do I handle the text faithful to its context? Do I burden people with the Word? Do I speak gently, loving God and man as my motive, fitting apples of gold into settings of silver? Does my teaching exalt God and present the Lord Jesus as precious and necessary each and every time?

The ESV says, "...rightly handling the word..."
NIV: "...correctly handles the word..."
NLT: "...correctly explains the word..."
NASB: "...accurately handling the word..."
KJV: "...rightly dividing the word..."
HCSB: "...correctly teaching the word..."

Workman's Inventory #6: Is it God's Word I share? Do I give too much importance to my preferences and opinions? Am I more concerned about truth or current events? Do I want to win souls or arguments? Do I concentrate on slick presentation or prayerful proclamation?

The ESV says, "...rightly handling the word of truth."
...and so does every other translation.

Truth. Truth from God who is truth; not junk from men who are faulty.

As I look out into the world, I look back into the mirror. Am I peacemaker or a strife spreader? Do I recognize I am poor in spirit; do I see how much I need God? Do I hunger and thirst for righteousness?

Pray God, make me a better workman. In Christ I beg. Amen


No comments: