Monday, August 24, 2020

What DOES Bruce Springsteen know?

 All my best memories are in the future...

Bruce Springsteen sang, "Glory days, well they'll you pass by. Glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye." We often think of "glory days" as being those days of youth, past and oft relived in memory, and freshly desired, as if they could return.

Not me. You can have them all. Those may have been enjoyable days. Some were fun days. Those days, though, weren't my glory days. Even in the best of my youth, I had no glory. Even in the world's version of it, I had no glory. I was nobody; less than nobody. Perhaps if I had been somebody to somebody, I'd think those were glory days. In a way, thank God I was nobody's somebody and everything's nothing. I never look back for something I'm missing today.

My glory days are coming...

And, even now, I praise God for them!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience." (Romans 8:18 and 23-25 ESV)

In Christ, there is glory coming. Even the nobody's are somebody in Jesus, and everybody in Jesus will get a new body in place of the old body and that body will be a glorious body, too. Now, that's glory!

This worldly glory, well, it leaves in the blink of an eye, but that heavenly glory will come in the twinkle of the eye. I'm hoping for what I've yet seen, and waiting for patience for the glory God's promised.

Yes! Glory days! They are coming!


No comments: