Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Blessed assurance.

 "By this...." and it's more than a feeling...

I don't always feel very Christian. (You may be saying you don't always feel I'm very Christian either.) Sometimes, my heart tries to win the day. My heart tries to convince me I am better than I actually am and some times my heart tries to convince me I'm not loved by God like I am. The heart is deceptive! I surely do not not want to follow my heart, ESPECIALLY if the Holy Spirit is not ruling my heart.

Thank God, HE is bigger than our hearts. HE is bigger than our emotions and feelings. God wants us to have evidence in our lives that goes beyond how we feel in the moment.

Consider: "By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything." (1 John 3:19-20 ESV)

"By this we shall know ... and reassure our heart before..." God. But, you may be thinking, what is the "by this"? Start at 1 John 3:19-20 and read backwards in the passage and you will see the meaning behind "by this."

A summary: if we see need and respond by helping, we know we walk in truth. If we love the brethren with action, we know we are walking in truth. If we love one another --again, with action-- we know we are walking in truth. If we fight sin in our own lives, we know we are walking in truth. If we live and walk as people who actively expect Jesus to return, we walk in truth.

See, beloved friend, the Christian life is about faith that outworks to a certain sort of life. On the days when our hearts condemn us, we look at the pattern of our lives and simply take an inventory to see if our actions agree with our confession. We don't let our feelings win the day! If faith doesn't inform our feelings, then feelings will subvert our faith.

Let us look to the pattern of our lives; do we have habits that live the life of faith in Jesus? If we do, remember that on the days your heart is beating you up. Remember too that God is bigger than my feelings or your feelings. He knows whether our faith is genuine, and He gives us great ways to live out evidence in our own lives.

Peace unto you.


No comments: