Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Are your commitments and priorities actual action or just talk?

Commitment...

Do you ever think about the concept of commitment? Commitment is a pledge to do something. 

How about the idea of priority? Priority is a thing that is more important and takes precedence over some other thing or things. 

We all live out our priorities. We may verbalize one set of priorities, but what we actually spend our time, talent, and treasure on is the real proof of our priorities. 

Think about it for a moment: how committed are you to following Jesus as a disciple? 

How high in your priorities is following Jesus?

We know what Jesus says. He says HE has to be our number one priority if we are going to be His disciples (see Luke 14:25-33). Jesus says we have to love God with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength (see Matthew 22:37-38). 

We say we love God, but do our commitments and priorities prove that to be true? 

Joshua put a plain choice before others: "But if you refuse to serve the LORD, then choose today whom you will serve." Then, Joshua made his commitment public, plain, and clear: "...as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD." (see Joshua 24:15)

Paul's expression of joyful surrender is the only reasonable commitment when it comes to responding to God's goodness to we who believe in Jesus Christ. Paul said, "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20 ESV)

Are you committed to the Lord? Does it show in our priorities, or is it a smoky thread, alive only in our speech?



No comments: