Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Sometimes, hunger is a blessing...

Sometimes, hunger is a blessing...

We were made to need God. We were made to be creative, inventive people who live with resilience and personal responsibility. However, we were not made to be independent of each other or, especially, not independent of God.

I don't know about you, but I'm prone to over-self-dependence. Sometimes, I forget I need people and I live like I don't need God. It shows up in all sorts of ways; I won't ask for help, or I fret over lack of control, or I think if I don't do it, it won't get done.

I am thankful for the kind ways God uses to remind me how I need Him and others. As a matter of fact, the very essence of life is in God and the sustenance of life is owed to Him. Even when I don't forget that truth, I sometimes forget to honor Him for upholding the universe by the word of His power.

God gave Israel hunger in the Israel and then answered their hunger with miraculous food. "And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD." (Deuteronomy 8:3 ESV)

In so many ways, we need many things only God can provide. We ought to be thankful God gives us gentle hunger rather than wrecking starvation. The latter comes by our own hand when we don't respond to the gentle hunger.

Many times, we mistake spiritual hunger which only God can satisfy with lack of happiness due to some material want. What our souls really, truly long for is sweet commune and supply from God. And, God feeds the hungry with Himself, if we'll eat, and it just doesn't get any better than that. Sometimes, hunger is the very blessing that sends us to sup with God.



No comments: