Monday, December 14, 2020

The Shepherding Ministry of Christ

The Shepherding ministry of Christ...

...and unto me, the under-shepherding work from Him...
...by Him...
...for Him..
...because of Him!

Jesus said of Himself, "I am the Good Shepherd." Amen. Look at the full statement: "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." (John 10:11 ESV) See what the Good Shepherd does? He lays down His life.

The writer of Hebrews recognizes the Good Shepherd's vindication, which was His resurrection. Indeed, this makes Him our Great Shepherd! "Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen." (Hebrews 13:20-21 ESV) What the Good Shepherd did by dying remains true because the Great Shepherd keeps in in His living.

The Apostle Peter sees the shared work of the Good Shepherd, recognizing Him as the Chief Shepherd. The Spirit revealed to Peter how the Chief Shepherd will reward faithful under-shepherds. "And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory." (1 Peter 5:4 ESV)

AH! Praise God! Help me Good Shepherd, that I might be found faithful before You, O Great Shepherd, that Thou, Chief Shepherd might say unto me, "Well done, My good and faithful servant." At the thought alone, my God, does my heart exult!


No comments: