Thursday, October 01, 2020

A personal testimony about getting a DUI

This testimony is for someone...

I got a DUI once (back in 1992, I think). A lawyer told me I could beat it. I wasn't even in the car, and I passed the field sobriety test. I was changing a tire; the SHP stopped to assist me. He smelled alcohol on my breath. I was honest with the Trooper when he asked me had I been drinking.

Drinking and driving killed my brother. I saw clearly the wake-up call I needed. I refused the breathalyzer, but I took a blood test and I was more than double the legal limit, and that was back when it was .10, rather than the .08 it is today. It would've been 3 times over now.

I plead guilty. I took my punishment. I deserved it. It cost me for years. I am thankful I was confronted. I am thankful for that very difficult season.

I never drank alcohol or used substances and drove again.

I was wrong to ever drink and drive; I was dead wrong. Thank God, I learned my lesson without injuring myself or someone else.

Maybe you're driving while impaired...

Maybe you're struggling with substance abuse...

Maybe wisdom-lightening will strike you when reading this post and you'll stop driving while impaired.

Beloved friends, IF you EVER drink and drive OR use mind-altering substances and drive, YOU DO HAVE an addiction issue, and you need help. There is no shame in admitting you have a problem and need help. There is shame in covering up a problem. There is shame in denying a problem. It's a shame not to get help.

I realized I had a drinking problem. I didn't want to change. I didn't want help. I used drugs, and I didn't want to quit.

I was also empty, had no transcendent worldview, was floundering in life, and lacked shameless pursuit of purpose. I did want that to change. I wanted peace. I wanted purpose. I wanted the guilt to go and I wanted goodness to come.

I needed peace with God. I have come to understand that only comes through the good news of Jesus. Jesus lived the life I failed to live; a life of perfect obedience to the Father. He died the cruel, harsh death I deserved to die. He died for our sins, was buried because He really died, and He rose from the dead because He was truly righteous, laying death in the grave, and was granted the title "Lord" by the Father.

Jesus empowered me to find freedom from addiction, and so much more. I've made a TON of mistakes, and I have a TON of growing left in front of me. This much I am sure, Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe... so, Father, I am Your boy, do with me as You will. 

1 Corinthians 15:3–4

[3] For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, [4] that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, (ESV)

To all who read this, be blessed, much love, and many prayers.



No comments: