Sunday, October 18, 2020

Eulego

What does the Spirit-filled believer do when someone does them wrong? According to Romans 12:14, we should, "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them." The word "bless" is "eulegeo" (εὐλογέω). The meaning will surprise you: 

(1) to praise, celebrate with praises
(2) to invoke blessings
(3) to consecrate a thing with solemn prayers; (a) to ask God's blessing on a thing, (b) pray God to bless it to one's use, (c) pronounce a consecratory blessing on
(4) of God; (a) to cause to prosper, to make happy, to bestow blessings on (b) favoured of God, blessed

Did you see that? WHOA! So, wait, Lord, are you saying I should "celebrate with praises" the person who does me wrong simply because they don't agree with me? "Yes, my child, I do." 

That's how I know this is a Spirit-filled reaction...because it's something our flesh would not choose, and something that is not "normal" for us to do in our own strength. 

Imagine if that was at least practiced on social media. Wow. This whole thing would be changed! 

I shared this with the local church I'm in fellowship with and one brother told me later on that obeying the Lord in this was starting with him simply choosing silence. He said, "I was practicing it tonight at basketball, but I'm only at the keeping my mouth shut stage, it will literally take a miracle of God for me to be able to thank God for the people that irritate and slander me." I actually think that is a Spirit-filled beginning! 

After all, the Scripture says, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouths of fools pour out folly." (Proverbs 15:1-2, ESV)

The Spirit works to shift us out of what the natural (the outer man; the dying, Adam man) "normally" does and shift us into what is the life of God. God's life is the life of love, for God is love (ref. 1 John 4:8). 

Consider, then, what love is: "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (1 Corinthians 13:4-7, ESV) 

Right in the middle of that, there is an affirmation of the attitude I'm talking about today; "it does not rejoice at wrong doing" -- so, there's no celebration that wrong has been done -- but, love does "bear all things" and "endures all things." Amazing! 

I'm like my friend, when he said, "It will literally take a miracle of God..." for me to begin celebrating people who give me a hard time, but He's in the miracle business, so I'm living with expectation. And, I'm living with willingness. And, I'm living in hope. 

I pray I learn to live in more surrender, too. That's what I need, a life surrendered to God, abiding in Him (John 15), submitted to Him (James 4) and "filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18). 

Yes, Lord, I am willing...



No comments: