Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Family and Father.

Comfortless / without family...

Or-fan-os. That's what this Greek word sounds like: ὀρφανός.

We find that word translated as either "comfortless" or "orphan."

Jesus said He would not leave His disciples comfortless / as orphans. He promised He would send the Holy Spirit (John 14).

Jesus said, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." (John 14:18 KJV) The ESV, NIV, NASB all translate it like this: "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." The HCSB says it like this: "I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you."

I love how to leave us orphaned would mean to leave us comfortless. I love how a believer is promised the presence of God.

We are designed for family, both in this temporal age and in the eternal to come. As Father God calls us into His family, and purchases us with the precious blood of His Son, He quickens such persons into spiritual life, and gives us the right to be called sons and daughters of God.

I believe we are made for family ... we are born into it... we are re-born into it. The need of it is so real that God promises to never leave one of His children as orphans. That promise is directly related to a believer's comfort, both in this age and in the age to come.

With God as our Father, Jesus as our Brother, and the Holy Spirit as our indwelling Life, we are secure in His family! As Christ abides in His church, we are part of a family. We have the comfort of His presence and He grants the comfort of brothers and sisters in Christ.

Today, enjoy the Family! Enjoy God! Enjoy His people!



No comments: