Wednesday, March 25, 2020

I can't believe I am using a John Lennon quote.

If we could see the inside...
I’m fat. I’m full of scars. I limp. I sometimes find it hard to get down on or up from my knees. I’m missing teeth, and what teeth I have are stained, and a few are fake. I wear glasses. I have skin tags. My neck doesn’t turn quite right to one side.
It’s pretty easy to see my outward flaws. I’m sure my above list is too short.
What about what you can’t see? I’m hearing impaired in my left ear. I wrestle with a couple speech impediments.
However, think on this, what if you could see the inner inabilities? What would be broken? What is crippled? What is withered? In what ways have I been lame since birth? How am I stunted?
Consider...
“On another Sabbath, he entered the synagogue and was teaching, and a man was there whose right hand was withered. ... And after looking around at them all he said to him, ‘Stretch out your hand.’ And he did so, and his hand was restored.” Luke 6:6 & 10 ESV)
People could see this man’s condition. It was easy to pity him or hold him in disdain. His withered, useless hand was on display. It could be covered up and concealed in most cases, yet it would in the time of need, and thus be revealed.
Often, we don’t see the most withered parts of folks, that is, until those things are called for and found wanting.
When compassion is called for, and found wanting...
When kindness is called for, and found wanting...
When love is called for, and found wanting...
When generosity is called for, and found wanting...
When spiritual maturity is called for, and found wanting...
When wisdom is called for, and found wanting...
When humility is called for, and found wanting...
When Christlikeness is called for, and found wanting...
On and on I could go!
Many times our inner witheredness is concealed from people, but it’s known plain to God.
The point isn’t whether we are broken or not. The point is whether we will let Jesus expose our withered state and whether we’ll let Him heal it?
If people saw the innards of every man and woman, we’d all look crippled.
And He is willing to restore.

No comments: