Thursday, March 26, 2020

We will be together again.

A good reminder to feed my needs...
Consider this verse: "When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments." (2 Timothy 4:13 ESV)
Here, the pressed and imprisoned minister / apostle / missionary realizes and expresses some incredible needs.
"When you come..." -- here is a confession of a social need that must be met by godly fellowship.
"...bring the cloak..." -- here is a confession of physical need that must be met by practical supply.
"...also the books..." -- here is a confession of the need for intellectual stimulation that must be met with engaging literature (and I'd also contend many mediums of art and thought).
“Paul in Prison,” by Rembrandt
"...above all the parchments." -- nothing beats the Word. Period. We need to seek, soak, study, store up, and share God's Word.
"Lord," we might pray, "show me what I need, because I confess I often have an idea of what I want, but I don't always know what I need. You know, Father. Give me what I need. In Jesus I pray. Amen."
We need each other. We are reborn into family. We are built for fellowship.
We have practical needs. Let's not pretend like we don't.
We need mental and emotional growth. Seek it.
We need God's Word. We can't stand in a promise we are ignorant of. Think about that!

No comments: