Saturday, March 28, 2020

I can't wait till the isms are wasms.

The schisms of isms...
I engage with the bondages and issues of racism and classism on a very often basis, and in the most practical and daily ways. The former being more familiar in our public discourse, but the latter being the most pervasive ill, meaning, quite simply, it affects more people.
Since I've said the isms are schisms, let me clearly state the definition of schism: "a split or division between strongly opposed sections or parties, caused by differences in opinion or belief."
There are MANY more isms I could put beneath the prism of our view, but racism and classism are enough isms to create the allomerism to crystallize our views. (I ought to throw in some thoughts on cronyism, but too many isms will make your willingness to read a wasm.)
Let me say it plainly... IN THE BODY OF CHRIST, classism and racism should not exist(ism). Two kinds of people in the world, and Christians are commanded to love both kinds. There are those under the blood and those not under the blood. Those are the only designations that matter!
Consider these fine verses: “And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, ... There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. ... For God shows no partiality. ... Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment. ... So Peter opened his mouth and said: ‘Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.’ ... For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. ... A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” (Acts 17:26, Galatians 3:28. Romans 2:11, John 7:24, Acts 10:34-35, Romans 10:12, & John 13:34 ESV)
Now, let me say four quick things about these two isms, and I'll leave my beloved readers to wrestle with the Holy Spirit over these things.
Racism / classism ignores the dignity of individual.
Racism / classism offends the imago dei of the person.
Racism / classism undermines our unity in Christ.
Racism / classism impedes the mission of the Church.
A million words could be written...
... what we need the powerful effect of one...
REVIVAL!

No comments: