Monday, May 25, 2020

Help to see accurately.

My astigmatism...

I've worn mismatched socks. I've put on two different shoes. I've clothed myself in clashing colors. I've even worn horizontal stripes, and we know big boys shouldn't do that. I've made so many fashion gaffes that it would seem such lack of style is intentional.

It's not; I just have no fashion sense! I don't know what IS fashionable, so I have no judgment about such things.

One thing I've never done is put on the wrong glasses. I always get that right!

Even if I do put on someone else's glasses, I know it right away! My astigmatism is so severe that only the correct lens is correct.

When it comes to looking at ourselves, many times, we aren't in touch with how we ought to be viewing self. We need the right "glasses" on!

Here they are: "For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned." (Romans 12:3 ESV)

Both lenses are made of "...grace..." Paul looked at himself through the unmerited goodness of God (that's grace). Don't miss the key word: unmerited! Paul knew he should be separated from God, judged and cast into outer darkness. Paul stood in grace and because of grace. Paul knew it was not his own earned merit, but God's unmerited favor that gave him audience with God, cleansing before God and ministry for God.

One lens has as its bifocal "...sober judgment..." Another word could be used here, and that is "properly." Look at yourself as God looks at you, both in the difficult realities, which God is willing to grow, AND at your blessed position of favor with Him in Christ Jesus. Don't be afraid to be accurate! If we discover something foul, God will forgive and heal and renew. If we find something good, it is God's handiwork and reason to celebrate.

Finally, the second lens has as its bifocal "...the measure of faith..." That is, let us look to what degree and capacity God has given us to receive from Him and look at ourselves through that lens. What does God want to do? What are we willing to allow? How far will we let Him take us? Today?

Believer, like my astigmatism requires a very specific prescription, we can't look at ourselves the right way unless we look at ourselves through grace! It's the only prescription that works! We DESERVE hell and separation, but, in Christ, we are given the blessing of fellowship. It's not from our merit, but through HIS goodness.

Yes, that ought to shape how we look at ourselves, AND EVERYTHING! And, everyone... EVERY ONE!



No comments: