Sunday, May 10, 2020

I won't lie, I want to know God sees me.

What would impress God?

My friend used to have an interesting picture in her office; it was a picture of about 15 different kinds of birds sitting on a wire. Two things about the picture immediately caught my attention: (1) there was a blue jay on the wire -- everyone knows they can't get along with anyone!-- and (2) all the birds were male birds.

Male birds are always more colorful. They HAVE to be colorful and gregarious to get the female birds to notice them! (Sometimes nature really does mirror life...)

Male birds are colorful, yes, and they have to prance around and make the right noises and do little dances and such to get the female to notice. It must take a lot to impress female birds! (Again, sometimes nature really does mirror life...)

What does it take for God to look upon us? What does it take for Him to take pleasing notice? What impresses God?

I think the prophet Isaiah is on to something: "Thus says the LORD: 'Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool; what is the house that you would build for me, and what is the place of my rest? All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the LORD. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word." (Isaiah 66:1-2 ESV)

God says He will look on the person who is "...is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles..." at His word.

Lord, lead me to be humble.
Father, lead me to be contrite.
Holy Spirit, cause me to love God's word and tremble before His holy precepts.


No comments: